The lightness of the cake comes from the process of whipping the egg whites separate from the yolks. For this gluten free dessert recipe you will need:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 cups icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
zest and juice from 1 lemon
4 eggs (separated and at room temperature)
2 1/2 cups almond meal
3 cups ricotta
- Preheat your oven to 400F.
- Spray a 20cm round pan OR a medium glass baking dish
- In a mixing bowl beat softened butter, 1 cup of the ICING sugar, the vanilla and lemon zest fora bout 5 minutes or until the mixture becomes pale and creamy.
- Add 4 egg yolks, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add almond meal and beat until combined. I made my own almond meal by using a food processor to grind down whole almonds. I find that it is cheaper than buying the ground almonds.
- Add to this the ricotta cheese and juice from the lemon.
- In a separate bowl whip the 4 egg whites that are at room temperature. Once they begin to get to the stage of meringue add the other cup of icing sugar little bit at a time.
- Gently fold the whipped sugar/egg white mixture into the almond mixture.
- Pour into the prepared pan and sprinkle with sliced almonds.
- Bake for 20 minutes and then cover with tinfoil. Continue baking for another 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool before slicing. Drizzle with local honey if desired. Enjoy!